2010 travels

Sunday, August 3, 2008

August 3, 2008


We left Homer on Thursday and ventured up to Sterling which is only about 150 miles so we got there pretty early. We picked Sterling as it has a population of over 4000 so we thought it would be a reasonable size town. NOT. Doesn't even have a grocery store. It has nothing!!! Hmmm so what do we do? Well it's supposed to be good fishing in Sterling on the Russian River so that day Mike messed around with his fishing gear getting it ready. I found the prettiest wild flowers so I made a bouquet , that's what we are doing at that picnic table. Anywho, Mike went fishing to no avail. Now on our way to Sterling we did see a mother moose and two babies. Two babies is unusual.

So on Friday we decided to take a "float" trip down the Kenai River. This trip begins in Cooper Landing about 40 miles from where we camped. We left about 8:00 and just made it by 9:00. We are joining another couple making the trip. They suit us up! Rubber boots, rubber pants, LIFE JACKET, Had to sign a paper, guy says to keep track of the bodies! I'm saying "FLOAT?" So all four of us get in the rubber raft and sit on the same seat. I'm thinking of Dora and Pat and how proud they would be to see me get on this RIDE! For the most part it was very nice. It was pretty cold as every one's feet got cold. Water was 40 degrees and those rubber rafts aren't that insulated. We went down some mild rapids, not even rated but big enough for me, then we went over rated 2 rapids which by the way is NOT on my bucket list. Yes we got a little wet. All along the river are fishermen and on one shore a brown bear, a big one or better known as a grizzly. Well he wasn't having much luck fishing either, so he decided to to take a swim, hmmm, we had to slow down so we wouldn't run into him. The fishermen on the banks were scattering as he swam by in the current. He went quite a ways till he made it to the opposite side of the river bank. Did I mention he was BIG!
Well we made it, got home, and was exhausted so we took a nap.

Took off from Sterling to Seward which is only about 125 miles. It is cold here in Seward. It didn't get up to 60 yesterday(Saturday). It's Sunday and is still cold. Long underwear day I think. We plan a boat trip to see calving Glaciers on Tuesday. That should be good. This town is a little pricey as it is a port town for cruises. Heavy sales tax. Did I tell you in Anchorage there is no sales tax on ANYTHING, NOTHING. This tax thing kind of bothers Mike, plus here they have a borough tax plus if you go out on a boat there is a fuel charge. We will be out of here on Wednesday.

We have some pictures but they are stuck in the camera. Seems Mike took out the card of the camera and left it in my puter so took pictures on the memory in the camera and doesn't have the right cord? But with patience I'm sure they will get on this blog.

I've been watching the weather and I know many of you are sweating! You know if it is over 60 here and you are an Alaskan, it is hot and many swim or wish they had worn there shorts! Ironic isn't it.

No comments: