2010 travels

Saturday, July 26, 2008

July 26, 2008




I know, it's been a while and as most of you know I have been sick. Really sick. We moved from Skagway and after a couple of days drive we found ourselves in a little town called Tok. We got there early so I figured this would be a good time to do some cleaning etc. As I did, and made some egg and tuna salads for our trips on the road. I felt fine, then by evening I had a sore throat and a chest cough. Told Mike I thought I was getting a cold. Next day my head felt like it was going to blow up. We were going to go to Valdez but I asked for a day of reprieve. Next day head was worse stay in bed couldn't sleep blah blah blah. So went to the only clinic in Tok. Had to wait an hour in sheer pain. Got a PA. Didn't care, just fix me. Gave me an antibiotic . Next day still had the head ache from hell. Finally the sinuses began to drain, but the antibiotic made me sick to my stomach. We took off to Valdez. That was 230 miles of agony with an upset stomach. I made however. I stayed in bed for the next 4 days but Mike got to fish and he caught some salmon!!!! I was so excited for him. It really kept him busy. I went out for a ride once to see the town but back to bed I went. So then we took the trek to Anchorage, about 325 miles. We have been here for 3 days. Got one more day on the antibiotic and am still not perfect which the Doctor told me to see someone if I wasn't completely well by the end of the medicine. So will probably get checked out on Monday. I am really much better and hope to be well soon.

We have been out in Anchorage a bit. It's a pretty large city. I would say most of the states population live here. All the modern conveniences here. Paved roads, stores of many varieties, traffic, nice restaurants. Guess I'm not the country type.
It's very beautiful here. It certainly is untouched and I'm glad to see it, but I don't think I could live here unless it was here in Anchorage.

So we hope to go to Kenai next. Salmon are running down there. That is about 220 miles from here. Sorry don't have too much Alaska news for you. I can tell you though the flowers that are grown here are really something. They are much more brilliant in color than ours at home. I was told because of the long days.
I met a man who races in the Iditarod. He was most interesting. He has been racing for a while now. He's a physics PhD! Trying to raise money for the race. Not a young man probably in his 60's. We'll have to keep an eye on him in March when the race takes place.

So that's my boring blog, hope I will have more interesting stuff in the future.


No comments: