2010 travels

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

June 18,

If you hadn't figured it out I wrote the 17th of June this morning during a storm but it was about things we did on the 17th. So here I am 9:30 pm SD time on the 18th. Ok now we are on the right day.

Had a thunder storm this morning!!!! (surprise) The storms here are pretty intense. One crack of thunder actually rattle the camper. It warmed up by noon, in the 70's and off we went. Today we went to Custer State Park. It's really really big. Many roads. First we went on Needles Highway. Believe me, it is not a highway. It goes up and up and there are tons of granite rock formations. Some look like cathedrals some look like big rocks. lol just kidding. But it was neat to see these things. We stopped at a lot of overlooks and I found this pine tree with the oddest pine cones, or the start of pine cones so I took a picture of it. It is really thick and fat. Then right next to it was a different pine tree with a skinny pine cone start and took a picture of that too. Let me add here that I am at the mercy of my husband to load the pictures here as my computer will not download pictures from my camera. It is a bit frustrating.
The we went to Custer, the town. Well I wouldn't recommend this town to you all. It did have some old buildings from 1880's but that's about it. We had lunch there and Mike had a wire in his salad. Everything else was pretty good.

Then we went back into Custer State Park again.
We took the wildlife loop. This area of the park is more grass land and is suppose to have a herd of 1500 buffalo. Well we saw everything but buffalo. We saw prong horned antelope, white tail deer, and burro's. These burro's were once used to take people up a mountain which is near this place. This was discontinued and so they let the burro's go free in the park. Some are real friendly, they will come up to you and let you pet them. Then we ran into a bunch of them. The next one we saw was in the middle of the road and we had to name him, bigus dickus. He was on his way to a large group of other burro's but was having a hard time walking across the street. He gathered quite a crowd in the middle of the wilderness. Mike said he didn't think burro's could reproduce but I really doubt that especially after meeting bigus!

Now we are going to the big city! Rapid City ( that's when I called you Bob). Yep got to go. Had to refill a prescription and the only Walgreen's was in Rapid City. Also went to Sam's. Very hard to find out here. Food in the grocery is expensive here. At least in these little towns where there is only one grocery store. So we picked up a few things, about $210.'s worth. Ok we bought a couple of chairs and a side of beef. No sorry just a tenderloin of beef. Wanted to stop at a Staples but I think that was enough city for Mike.

I'm going to send you that brochure Emily as soon as I can get some envelopes.

Well we have one more day here in Hill Town and then off we go again. Goobie likes the looooong stays (3days). Tomorrow we are returning to Keystone to see the museum of Borglum the artist of Mt. Rushmore.

Forgot to tell Pat. Found my sign in Mitchell SD. Remember I was complaining how all these new signs I have missed. (parking for pregnant mothers, parking for mothers with babies, parking for green vehicles) Well I found one for us and I am having Mike post it here.

Take care all, Chad have fun in Maine.

3 comments:

judge said...

I bet his name's not Victoria. He sure ain't got no secrets! Is the truck pregnant?

kristi said...

are you jealous judge?

Pat said...

Who's Victoria?